“2022 Seeds of Friendship”
Karen Hovey, GCO Chairman
Partners in Conservation (PIC) was founded in 1991 at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium in response to the genocide of the people of Rwanda. Many partnerships were formed to help the people of Rwanda. The Garden Club of Ohio, Inc. is a partner and our committee is called Seeds of Friendship.
To All of our Garden Club Members,
It’s that time of year again when we ask for your participation in the collecting of seeds, garden gloves and money to help the people of Rwanda. We have been partners with the Columbus Zoo & Aquarium since 2007 in their ultimate goal to save the rain forest, where the mountain gorillas live, by respectfully helping the animals and the local population. If people don’t have to use forest resources to care for their families, then the forest will stand and the animals will survive. There have been several articles in the Garden Greetings over the past two years giving examples of the many ways this project has changed the rainforest, people and increased the number of mountain gorillas.
This year we ask you to again support this program. With Coronavirus still with us some of you may still not having in person meetings, where you can bring your donations. I ask the following:
- Appoint a club member to collect donations by dropping them at their home or at meetings. That person can get them to me either at the GCO Convention in Columbus 04/26 – 28/22 or dropping them or mailing them to me. I must receive all seeds and garden gloves no later than 04/28/22. My contact and mailing information is on Pg. 33 in the Spring, 2022 Garden Greetings.
- The ONLY vegetable & flower seeds that the people want and that grow best in Rwanda are these eight types of seeds: Bush Green Beans, Green Cabbage, Carrots, Onions, Green Peppers and Tomatoes, plus Cosmos & Zinnia flower seeds. Also, be sure the seeds are for the 2022 growing season.
- All cash and checks should be sent or brought to my home by 04/01/22 to allow time to record and send the checks to the GCO Treasurer. Cash donations will be used to purchase seeds to fill out the sets of eight kinds of seeds.
- Any club checks or personal donations by check must be made payable to Garden Club of Ohio, Inc.
- In order for a club to get credit for any donations, all bags, cash or checks must be marked with the Club name, a contact name and phone number.
Considering all the obstacles we’ve had the last two years with Covid, no meetings, etc. we have done a great job of gathering these donations for PIC. In 2020 we collected $2283, 1048 seed packets & 71 pair of gloves. In 2021 we collected $3814, 1936 seed packets and 104 pair of gloves. The question is: Can we do even better in 2022? Thanks for your generous on-going support of this project.
(PLEASE NOTE: KAREN HOVEY WILL BE UNAVAILABLE 02/19-26, 03/20-27 AND 04/10-17/22.)
Click here to download additional information